News & Info
Here we share our latest news & other usefull information.
Similan islands diving season has started
The Similan islands diving season has started
We’re just one week into the Similan islands 2017 -2018 and had a great start. The first we had some rain but afterwards it was just the sun. The first liveaboard trip went out in the evening of the 14th of October. The scuba divers on this Similan islands liveaboard trip made their first dive at 07.00 AM and we’re the first this season to enjoy the excellent diving. After the plenty of dives at the Similan islands the liveaboard went north to the dive sites at Koh bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu rock to have a great time. In total they made 15 dives and enjoyed it. You also want to dive at the Similan islands and beyond. For the Manta Queen liveaboard trips leaving before the 15th of November there is a special with a discount of 4.000.- Baht on all the Manta Queen liveaboard trips. For overnight stay in Khao Lak , Khao Lak guesthouse is offering a special rate of 800.- Baht. So if you’re looking for a great Thailand liveaboard trip and want to spare your budget , just write us at email@example.com and we’ll help to get you the best out of your liveaboard holiday
Simple Tips for Preventing Seasickness (Divers Alert Network)
Seasickness is a condition individuals may experience when on a moving platform. It involves a general feeling of illness, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. It is also called motion sickness. Passive motions disturb fluid movement within the labyrinth and affects one’s sense of balance and equilibrium. It is exaggerated when the brain receives conflicting messages delivered from the eyes, muscles and joint sensors (proprioceptors). In a closed room, the view indicates that the surroundings are still, while the signals from the labyrinth indicate that the body is moving. Motion sickness can occur when traveling on a ship, plane, train, bus or car. Some people are more sensitive than others, but if the motion stimuli are strong and the exposure lasts long enough, nearly all individuals will experience it.
The symptoms of motion sickness include dizziness, sweating, nausea, vomiting and a general feeling of discomfort or illness. Symptoms can strike suddenly and progress from simply not feeling well to cold sweats, dizziness and vomiting. Motion sickness is more common in women and in children 2-12 years old. Individuals who suffer from migraine headaches are also more prone to motion sickness. Motion sickness lasts as long as the motion lasts. Once the motion stops, symptoms quickly subside. Some people feel “sea legs” after a long sojourn at sea.
Prevention and Management
If you know you have motion sickness or might be prone to it, consider this advice:
- On a boat: Stay on deck and focus on the horizon. Avoid inhaling exhaust fumes.
- In a car: Sit in the front seat. If you are the passenger, look at the scenery in the distance.
- Do not read in moving vehicles. Reading makes motion sickness worse.
- Avoid heavy meals prior to diving.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid alcohol the evening before you travel.
- If possible, stand up. Sitting or lying down can make you feel worse.
- Eat dry crackers to help settle a queasy stomach.
- Avoid others who have become nauseous with motion sickness.
Motion sickness can be treated with over-the-counter and prescription drug products.
- Over-the-counter products: Antihistamines are commonly used both to prevent and treat motion sickness. A side effect of antihistamines is drowsiness, which is exaggerated when alcohol is consumed. Drowsiness may adversely affect diver safety.
- Prescription products: The scopolamine skin patch (Transderm Scop) is a popular option. The patch is applied to the skin area behind the ear at least eight hours before exposure and can help prevent motion sickness for up to three days per patch. Scopolamine may cause dry mouth, blurry vision, drowsiness and dizziness. Patients with glaucoma, enlarged prostate and some other health problems should not use this drug. Be sure to tell your doctor of your existing health problems to help determine which drug is best suited for you.
- Alternative remedies: Various alternative remedies have been promoted as being helpful in relieving or preventing motion sickness. In most cases, the evidence of efficacy is missing. However, if you have mild symptoms, you may try ginger or peppermint products to ease your symptoms without risking side effects.
To learn more tips, visit the DAN Health & Diving library at DAN.org/Health.
Richelieu rock diving
Richelieu rock is a popular dive site for divers visiting Thailand. From Khao Lak there are plenty of dive center who organize Richelieu rock diving daytrips and liveaboard trips which includes dives at Richelieu rock. The shortest liveaboard trip is a 2 days - 1 night liveaboard trip. On www.richelieu-rock-diving.com you can find all the information you need when you would like to visit Richelieu rock during your diving holiday.
Cuttlefish at the Similan islands
The cuttlefish are marine animals in the order of the Seppida . During your diving trip at the Similan islands you will encounter them and be amazed how they quickly can change there colors in matters of seconds. This is a great shot made during a 5 days - 5 nights liveaboard trip trip this week. Thanks to Ondrej Čižmár for sharing this photo.
Manta Queen liveaboard trips
The Manta queen fleet is operating Similan islands liveaboard trips from Khao Lak.
Take a look at the website from our partner Similan islands liveaboards
The Manta Queen fleet is operating during the Similan islands diving season. The Similan islands national park is open from the 15th of October till the 15th of May.
Similan islands diving season
The Similan islands national park is open from the 15th of Octobert till the 15th of May. The first 2 weeks and the last 2 weeks of the Similan islands not all the trips are running. If you're coming during that period please contact us to see which trips are available.
Great promotion on Mares diving equipment
The diving season has started and Similan Dive Center is offering great discount on Mares diving equipment. These offers are valid till 30 November 2016.
The diving season has started
The new diving season has started again. Till the 15th of May 2017 you can explore the great dive sites at the Similan islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu rock
Join one of the liveaboard trips Similan Dive Center is offering. The shortest liveaboard trip is the 2 days - 1 night liveaboard trip with 6 dives. The longest is the 5 days - 5 nights liveaboard trip with 19 dives. In between there is also the 3 days - 3 nights and 4 days - 4 nights. For every travel schedule there is a trip.
Seahorse at Richelieu rock